lin

Ms. Wonson Goes to Kenya!

Thoughts on and photos from one teacher's adventures with Earthwatch.

January 21, 2008

Oprah gives students a way to help kids in developing countries

I'm home today because of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday, and I'm watching Oprah, which I rarely have a chance to do.

I just learned about Oprah's O Ambassador's programs and wanted to pass on the word in case anyone is interested. It makes me wish that I were still teaching so that I could get a program going!

You can form an Ambassador's club at your school. Clubs explore the 4 Millennium Development Goals from the UN (poverty, education, health, and sustainable development) and raise money that will go to a specific area of the developing world.

Why do I care? Well, the ad for this program that came on a few minutes ago showed a group of students raising money to build a school in Kenya. East Africa is one of the areas that is meant to be helped by the O Ambassadors program, and so I'd like to spread the word and encourage people to get involved.

If you are a teacher, parent, or student interested in the program, check out the website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home