lin

Ms. Wonson Goes to Kenya!

Thoughts on and photos from one teacher's adventures with Earthwatch.

June 07, 2006

Rainfall

The rain is pouring down today in Hingham, and I can't help but think about how it would probably be viewed much differently in Samburu than many people here are thinking of it today. We have had quite a bit of rain recently, including the recent floods, and so many people in Massachusetts could do without this rain today. (Personally, I'm happy enough with the cooler weather it brings, at least until we get out of school.) However, I learned from Bishop Obare just how severe the drought has been in Kenya. Drought is constantly a problem in the arid parts of the country, but this year's drought was particularly severe, from what I have been told. I know I take water for granted, something that I thought I would never again do after my Peace Corps experience. But even there, I never had to deal with a severe water shortage. There was enough water in all the nearby wells. It will be interesting to visit Kenya in the middle of the dry season and see how it affects the environment, the people, and the animals.

5 Comments:

At June 18, 2006 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Wonson! I miss you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo incredibly much! Thanks a ton for the fun animal fur bracelets! I shall wear it every single day when I go to camp next week! I really like the picture of you on one of your entries; it’s so you! I just can't wait to see all the pictures you will take of the Kenya wildlife! Lions, Zebras, Gazelle, Giraffes… Oh the possibilities! I hope you have a terrific Father's Day! Au revoir!

Emmalyn Shilts
"Hiker Extraordinaire"

 
At June 20, 2006 6:54 AM, Blogger Ms. Wonson said...

Have a great time at camp, Emmalyn! I'm glad you liked the bracelet, and I hope you'll let me know what you think of my pictures once they're posted. Less than 3 weeks until I leave! - Ms. Wonson

 
At June 23, 2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo.

There's a thunderstorm brewing outside.Yuck, I'd have gladly traded all the rain we got for all of the Kenyan sunshine. I don't like the rain, it's depressing.

I'm so loving the summer break. I broke my record for sleeping in. The day after I turned my alarm clock off for the vacation, I slept in until 2 o'clock in the afternoon. It was great :)Derby Summer Arts starts next week, though, so I can't sleep in then. Oh, well, I love that camp.

Elizabeth

P.S. Did you know hedgehogs live in Madagascar? They're called 'Greater Madagascar Hedgehog Tenrec.'

P.P.S. I was playing Sims, and I have a lot my teachers and friends on there. In the game, you married Mr. Wachtelhausen. :o

 
At June 26, 2006 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms.Wonson
I miss you a lot. I reading a book called "Little Soldier" by Bernard Ashley. Its about a kid from Africa and everyone in his village was murdered by another tribe. So he joins a rebal army, but hes taken to London and has to figure out if he wants to go back or stay. When I was reading this I thought of you. Opps gotta go I have to go to sailing and then take this boating course so I won't get home until 7:30.
From Catherine
P.S. Thanks for the braclet. I wear it whenever I feel sad or mad. Its my happy braclet.

 
At June 30, 2006 11:55 PM, Blogger Ms. Wonson said...

Hi Catherine!

I'm glad the bracelet is your happy bracelet. I saved one for myself and find it to be a very good bracelet. The book sounds interesting, too. I'll have to look for it.

I hope you're enjoying the summer. Sailing sounds fun!

- Ms. Wonson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home