lin

Ms. Wonson Goes to Kenya!

Thoughts on and photos from one teacher's adventures with Earthwatch.

July 25, 2006

Back from the Bush!

I made it through 2 weeks in Wamba and now I'm back in Nairobi! I can't write much now, because I am paying 15 shillings a minute to use the internet and I want to go jump in the pool, but I did want to write a little something in case anyone is checking the site. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can after I get home on Thursday, but in the meantime, let me just say that the trip was awesome!

A couple of bad things about the trip:
1) My luggage got lost on the way here, and I only got it today when I got back to Nairobi. Tough 2 go 2 weeks with only one set of field clothes, one pair of hiking socks, and 2 pairs of underwear!
2) My camera broke a couple of days into the trip. I borrowed a spare from someone else and bought a few disposible cameras, but I probably don't have quite as many pictures as I would normally have had.

Highlights of the trip:
1) Smiles of the Samburu children.
2) Getting to attend a traditional Samburu wedding in Wamba...we even bought goats as presents for the bride and groom!
3) Walking in the footsteps of elephants while hiking to get water samples. It was the scariest and most amazing thing I have ever done, especially when we started hearing the trees crack and break only a few hundred meters from us.
4) Making great new friends among the other volunteers.
5) Making new friends among the scientists and staff.
6) Seeing lots of animals in the Samburu Reserve.
7) Shopping! (Beads, carvings, etc.)

OK, I'd better go. The pool is calling my name. July is supposedly the coldest month in the Kenya, but it still seems pretty warm to me, and that pool likes like pure luxury after 2 weeks in the dust of Wamba.

I'll write more soon!

1 Comments:

At July 26, 2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick, losing your luggage is a drag. I lost mine for two days after coming back from Turks & Caicos, and I had almost no clothes.

How old were the bride and the groom?

What animals have you seen so far?

Can't wait to hear more, but I'm off to the dentist's so I'll check the blog later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home