lin

Ms. Wonson Goes to Kenya!

Thoughts on and photos from one teacher's adventures with Earthwatch.

July 08, 2006

Packing challenges

Have I mentioned before that I am only allowed to bring 10kg (about 22 pounds) of luggage on this trip? That's way below the amounts allowed by the big commercial airlines, but I will have to take a little baby plane from Nairobi to Samburu, and that airline only allows passengers 10kg of luggage. I've decided that this may be one of the most difficult parts of this trip. So far, my checked luggage weighs about 10 pounds, which is fine, but my carry-on weighed over 20 pounds when I first packed it! I've had to take out my CDs (except the "white noise" CD that helps me sleep on the plane), and some extra clothing, and a few other things that were nonessential. Still, I had basically only packed what Earthwatch told me to bring, so I'm not quite sure how I can get the luggage any lighter. I'm hoping that my carry-on will get lighter on the way there, as I'll be reading and discarding books as I go. I'm only bring 2 novels with me, which is realy not enough for a 2-week trip with long layovers! However, I'm sure that I will finish at least one of them on the way there. Actually, I'll probably be able to finish one of them during my layover in New York! So that will lighten the load a bit. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to wear several layers of clothing.

Here's what I'm bringing on this trip:
- a journal
- the Expedition Briefing provided by Earthwatch
- my passport
- proof of vaccines I've had in the past
- 2 pairs of hiking pants for field work
- 4 t-shirts for field work
- 5 pairs of socks to wear with my hiking boots
- hiking boots
- 2 extra shirts for when I'm not in the field (3 if you count what I'll wear on the plane)
- flip flops
- tevas
- wide-brimmed hat (to keep my face out of the Equatorial sun)
- 1 pair of shorts
- 1 light-weight fleece sweater for the plane and cool evenings
- pajamas
- underwear
- small daypack (I've actually got 2 small backpacks; one is my carry-on, and the other is inside it packed with the things that I want most easily available during my flights.)
- a small drybag (protect my camera from dust if necessary)
- insect repellent (I've got LOTS of this! I really don't want to get malaria or dengue fever!)
- sunglasses
- sunscreen (I have LOTS of this, too!)
- biodegradable soap/shampoo
- Purell
- personal first aid kit
- personal survival kit (My birthday present from my brother; he insists that I need it in case of emergencis. It has fish hooks, duct tape, a signal mirror, fire starting materials, etc.)
- contact lenses and supplies
- spending money (see my earlier post)
- digital camera
- extra batteries
- headlamp
- earplugs (just in case I have to share a room with someone who snores)
- Kenya guidebook
- Swahili phrasebook (I bought a CD to teach myself Swahili, but I never got very far with it.)
- Pass the Pigs (just in case we're bored in the evening and need a game to play; it's the smallest game I own.)
- watch
- swimsuit (in case I want to use the hotel pool in Nairobi)
- eyeglasses
- vitamins and medicines (like Malarone, the anti-malarial drug I'll have to start taking on Monday)
- brush, comb, barrettes, ponytail holders
- knee braces

I think that's it! It's a lot of stuff, but I usually take much more on other trips. I look at the two small bags I have packed and think that it is a ridiculously small amount of luggage compared to what I would normally pack for 2 weeks in France. Of course, I'm not bringing presents to anyone, which usually requires a lot of luggage space going to visit friends in France. Hmm, where am I going to put presents coming back? That could be a problem. So far, the strangest request has been for lion poop, while the easiest to fulfill has been for a rock. I'm hoping to find some interesting carved animals and things like that for presents and souvenirs, personally. Well, I'll have to assume that I'll use up and throw away items like insect repellent and sunscreen before I fly home again. There's supposed to be a big market in Nairobi, and I definitely want to go do some shopping!

Well, I'd better get around to finishing my reading about wild dogs. I've been trying to read up a bit on the local people, the animals I'll be studying, etc. Ugh, homework!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home